JOYA® sticks with salted caramel
Toffee apples are a well-known sweet treat, but a rather sticky thing to make and difficult to eat! This recipe provides you with a much easier and even more enjoyable option. How does salted caramel and apple sound? Mmm … what a treat! Perfect for a dessert with a difference.
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) soft brown sugar
- 60 ml (¼ cup) golden syrup
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 100 ml fresh cream
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) water
- a small pinch of fine salt, no more than 1,2 ml
- 4 JOYA® apples in the skin
- Place all the ingredients, except the salt and apples, in a small saucepan. Heat over a low heat and stir constantly until the sugar, syrup and butter has melted and a smooth mixture has formed.
- Bring sauce to a gentle boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the mixture just starts to thicken. Remove from the heat, add the salt and stir well.
- Don’t boil for too long, as the sauce will just become stickier. Remember that it will firm up as it cools down, so keep warm. Or if you have prepared the sauce in advance, place the bowl of sauce in another bowl half filled with warm water and stir through – the sauce will become runny in a minute or two.
- Cut apples in chunks, rinse in cold water to prevent them from turning brown and skewer onto kebab sticks. Serve immediately with the warm caramel sauce.