Makes about 45 - 50 wafers
Make JOYA® apples part of your table décor this festive season. Paper-thin slices of apple, dusted with spiced-up sugar and baked into crispy wafers make beautiful, edible décor and taste so good. These wafers can be part of the table centrepiece or hang them as festive trimmings on the flower arrangements or your Christmas tree.Ingredients:
1. Preheat the oven to 150 °C. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
2. Mix sugar and spices in a bowl. Sprinkle into an even layer in a flat dish or plate.
3. Cut apples through the core into very thin slices with a sharp, large, smooth-bladed knife.
4. Lightly coat each side of the apple slices with the sugar mixture. Don’t make the sugar layer too thick. Place the coated apples in a single layer on the baking trays.
5. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until lightly golden and just crisp. Don’t dry them out until completely crispy as they will crisp up even more as they cool down. This may make them too brittle to handle.
6. Remove from the baking tray immediately and allow to cool on a cooling rack – a palette knife works well to lift them.
7. Enjoy as a sweet treat or topping with ice cream. Or make them part of the table décor on a festive table. Thread string through the natural holes in the core, or gently prick holes with a skewer to hang them.
1. Store apple wafers in an airtight container for up to 2 days to keep them crispy. Alternatively, crisp up in the oven again for a few minutes before serving.
2. Use festive ribbon and edible gold dust or glitter to make the apple wafers even more festive.
JOYA® recipe tip:
JOYA® apples are delicious with many different spices. The sugar can be seasoned with any sweet spice, like ground mixed spice, ground cardamom or even add a pinch of vanilla powder. Make extra sugar to have on hand and use wherever you would use cinnamon-sugar, like on pancakes, cookies or doughnuts.