Makes 10 pastries
Apples are always delicious with cinnamon and mixed spice, especially the sweet-tart taste of JOYA® apples. Add chopped almonds for crunch and lemon rind for some zest, and you have the perfect filling for crisp, buttery pastry. These apple danishes are a fun and easy take on those pretty pastries you see in a bakery display. This is an ideal treat with a cup of tea or coffee.Ingredients:
1. Filling: Place all the filling ingredients, except the tea and cornflour, in a small pot.
2. Mix the tea into the cornflour until there are no lumps and stir into the filling ingredients. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently with the lid for 15-20 minutes or until the apples have softened. Allow to cool slightly.
3. Preheat oven to 180 °C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
4. Pastry: Unroll pastry onto a lightly floured work surface. Cut in half lengthwise. Cut each strip into 5 even-sized rectangles.
5. Divide filling between the 10 pastry pieces, placing the filling in the middle of each piece. Layer about 6 apple slices on top of the filling and gently press down.
6. Brush the two opposite corners of each rectangle with egg, fold over the apple and pinch together to seal.
7. Place pastries on the baking tray and brush with the remaining egg. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and cooked. Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
8. Icing: Mix icing sugar and lemon juice together until smooth. Drizzle over cooled pastries and allow to set.
9. Serve as a sweet treat with your favourite warm beverage.