Makes 6 - 8
This dessert looks impressive and is quite easy to prepare. It just requires a little planning to make sure the chocolate filling has had time to set. The juicy JOYA® apple bases are cooked through, but still firm enough to hold the melted chocolate and peanut butter filling and gooey meringue. Do enjoy this divine sweet treat while it is still warm.Ingredients:
1. Filling: Melt the peanut butter in a small pot over a low heat. Remove from the stove and stir in the chocolate until smooth and melted. Spoon into a bowl.
2. Allow chocolate mixture to cool slightly. Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes or until just firm enough to shape into small balls.
3. Divide the mixture into 6-8 portions and shape into even-sized balls. Place balls on a plate, cover with cling wrap and freeze for 1-2 hours, or until just set.
4. Meringue: Preheat the oven to 180 °C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
5. Place egg whites, sugar, vanilla and vinegar in a large glass bowl. Beat with an electric beater for about 10 minutes, or until the egg whites form stiff peaks when you lift the beaters. The egg whites should be light and fluffy, with a marshmallow texture. Don’t beat too much, as it will become dry.
6. Slice apples through the core, into thick slices and place on the baking tray.
7. Place a frozen chocolate ball in the middle of each apple slice. Divide the meringue mixture and spoon enough meringue onto each apple slice to cover the chocolate ball completely.
8. Using the back of a spoon or a fork, fluff the meringue mixture to form little peaks.
9. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the egg whites are light golden brown. Serve immediately as a dessert or teatime treat.
1. The warm filling mixture is delicious as a dip with fresh JOYA® apple wedges.
2. When beating egg whites make sure that the mixing bowl is completely clean and dry. Any greasy residue will prevent the eggs from beating. The best mixing bowl is stainless steel or glass and not plastic. Make sure that the beaters are also clean and dry.
3. Eggs that are kept at room temperature beat to a much higher volume, than those cold from the fridge.
4. Add the yolks to scrambled eggs or a frittata.