Crusty baked JOYA® apple halves
Everyone knows a baked apple, but the filling is never enough as only the opening of the core is stuffed. Baking them as halved apples, with this crust of macadamia nuts and coconut is a great solution and absolutely ‘apple-tising’. And the added bonus? It’s a gluten-free dessert.
- 50 g macadamias, chopped
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) hard butter, cubed
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) desiccated coconut
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) brown sugar
- 2,5 ml (½ tsp) ground mixed spice
- 4-5 JOYA® apples in the skin, cored and halved
- 125 ml (½ cup) strong Rooibos tea
- homemade custard to serve
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Place macadamias, butter, coconut, sugar and spices in a food processor and blend together until a crumbly mixture forms. Or rub together with your fingertips.
- Divide the crust amongst the apple halves and lightly press on top of each apple. Place apples in a shallow oven dish and pour tea around the apples.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the apples are soft, but not disintegrating and the crust is golden brown. Serve immediately with warm custard.
1. Chop macadamias in food processor before adding the other ingredients.
2. Any other nuts of your choice will also be delicious to use.