Makes 8 scones
These rustic, farm-style scones are bursting with flavour. Sweet, refreshing JOYA® apples are combined with salty bacon, cheese and a hint of thyme – an absolute winner.Ingredients:
1. Preheat oven to 200 °C and line a large baking tray.
2. Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl. Stir the apple, bacon, cheese, thyme and spring onion into the dry ingredients.
3. Rub butter into the flour mixture using your fingertips, until well blended. Don’t worry if it feels too crumbly, it will come together with the liquid.
4. Whisk the egg and milk together in a separate bowl.
5. Add the liquid to the flour mixture and cut into the mixture with a knife or gently combine with your fingertips, until the liquid is incorporated. Be careful not to overmix. The dough should be soft and just manageable.
6. Gently shape the dough on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle of about 2 cm in thickness. Cut scones with a cookie cutter or a glass. Dip cookie cutter or glass in a little extra flour to prevent it from sticking to the dough.
7. Place the scones on the baking tray. Garnish each scone with a few extra apple slices and lightly press the apple slices down. Brush scones with some extra milk.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Serve immediately with butter or allow to cool on a cooling rack first.