JOYA® Apple fold-overs with nuts
The delicate combination of JOYA® Apple, lemon, spices and honey wrapped in a crispy pastry will keep you wanting more.
- 500 g shop-bought puff pastry, thawed
- 2 JOYA® Apples in the skin, cut into wedges and thinly sliced
- 60 ml (¼ cup) coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
- vanilla powder, ground cardamom or mixed spice to taste
- lemon rind and honey to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 200 °C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Unroll the puff pastry, if necessary, and place on a lightly floured work surface. Cut out 8 x 10 cm circles (a cookie cutter works well, or use a small bowl as a template to cut out with a knife).
- Place circles on the baking tray. Place 4-5 apple slices on one half of each circle, keeping a small space all around the edge clear of any filling.
- Top with nuts, a pinch of vanilla powder or ground spice of your choice, lemon rind and a drizzle of honey. Brush the edges with egg and fold the other half of each circle over, to form little half circles. Gently press the edges down with a fork to seal.
- Prick a few holes in the top of each fold-over with a fork or skewer. Brush with egg and bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked.
- Enjoy warm or allow to cool and pack as a treat for a road trip.
Any excess pastry can be refrigerated for a while and then re-rolled and cut out. Note, this pastry will be a little more difficult to work with and it may not rise as much.